Club History 1917 – 1989

Posted on 06 May 2014

It all began almost 100 years ago, in 1917 towards the end of World War 1, the Newcastle RSL Sub Branch was formed to help thousands of men and women returning from war access their entitlements and resettle back at home. During the Great Depression of the 1920’s and 30’s the RSL ran many schemes to support desperate people out of work and their families. Since the early 1920’s, Kings Hall Chambers on the corner of Perkins and King Streets had been the home of the RSL in Newcastle.